Dr Emily MacGregor, medical aesthetics specialist at STORY clinic in Marylebone, London, answers your questions about Profhilo treatments for hydrated, glowing skin on your wedding day.
Question: “When should I start Profhilo treatments for glowing skin on my wedding day?”
Profhilo treatment timeline
Profhilo is a fantastic treatment to prepare the skin ready for your big day, especially if you’re looking for a summer glow at a winter wedding. It’s a wonderful all-rounder, delivering results on two fronts: providing intense hydration and skin rejuvenation. It can also help with signs of ageing, such as fine lines, and sun damage.
Do bear in mind when planning your wedding skin treatments that Profhilo effects are long-lasting. For this reason, they can take longer to become visible, so you should start your course no less than three months (12 weeks) before your wedding ceremony.
To get the best results, two treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart are required.
Single treatments 4-6 months after this course of 2 are recommended for maintenance. These are priced at £375 for face and neck, or £275 for a single face or neck session.
This timeline information is the same whether you opt for the injectable Profhilo treatment or our STORY needle-free Profhilo option.
Injectable Profhilo involves a series of small injections which take five minutes to administer. Our non-injectable Profhilo uses gas delivered through a Plasma Shower device to painlessly push the treatment into the deeper layers of the skin.
Profhilo injections may help to reduce fine lines in cases where these wrinkles are slightly deeper than the non-injectable version is suitable for. Whilst needle-free Profhilo can be used on areas that the injectable option cannot, for example around the eyes, lips and forehead. It can even be used on your décolletage, neck, chest and hands.
I always advise having a full consultation when you first start considering injectable treatments and this is certainly the case with Profhilo. This may or may not take place on the same day as your treatment so do factor this into your timeline when planning your bridal tweakment timings.
Whilst needle-free Profhilo is £550 for 2 sessions, Profhilo injection treatments are £650 for 2 sessions and are only offered by STORY aesthetic doctors. If you are at all unsure as to which form you would prefer, our doctors can guide you as to which is most suitable during a free consultation.
Profhilo results and aftercare
Profhilo involves the same product used in dermal filler treatments – medical grade hyaluronic acid gel – to deeply hydrate and plump the skin. However, as it has a lighter, runnier consistency than fillers, instead of contouring or volumising, it simply disperses under the skin to give an all-over rejuvenating glow.
As Profhilo stimulates your natural collagen and elastin production, which is a gradual process, you should start to see results by 12 weeks.
These results should then last up to 6 months. Single treatments to maintain these results are recommended starting 4-6 months after the second of your initial Profhilo appointments. These single session treatments are priced at £375 for face and neck upkeep, or £275 for a face or neck treatment.
Depending on which Profhilo treatment you have – injectable or needle-free – whilst they both give the same outcomes, the aftercare and downtime is different.
All aftercare information will be discussed with and made available to you during your consultation appointment. The following precautions are worth bearing in mind, though…
- Whilst there is no downtime with this treatment, as it requires injections, you may have small lumps under the skin which will disappear within 24 hours.
- We advise you to avoid applying makeup to the injection sites for 12 hours after your treatment to minimise any potential infection risks.
- Alcohol, strenuous exercise and facial massage should be avoided for 24 hours after your treatment to prevent facial flushing which can prevent your treatment from working to the best of its ability.
- Aspirin and ibuprofen should also be avoided for the first 24 hours as they may increase the risk of bruising.
- There is no downtime with needle-free Profhilo and you should see a wonderful glow immediately!
- Skin is more absorbent for 24 hours after treatment, so this is a good time to apply skincare products with active ingredients. However, extra care should be taken to avoid anything that could irritate the skin, such as perfumes.
- If you have dry skin, apply more moisturiser than normal for the following 24 hours.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, saunas and steam rooms for 24 hours.
Profhilo is the most popular skin treatment we offer at both STORY Marylebone and STORY Southwell. To find out more about this effective treatment and the option best suited to your skin concerns, visit our dedicated Profhilo page or book your free consultation, using the buttons below.